Monday 26 November 2007

Scary movie(s)


I've read somewhere a few days ago, that the scariest movie of all time is The Exorcist by William Friedkin (btw: Amazon has a whole new set of 5 (!!) Exorcist movies for around $19 atm). Now, don't get me wrong, I own a copy of that DVD and I do "like" the movie, but the scariest movie of all time? Hmm.. When I think about the fact that the movie was filmed in 1973, I can imagine it caused a stir back then. Not to mention it became the benchmark for a lot of horror movies over time.
True, some scenes in there are disturbing even today, but overall, I wouldn't really call it THE scariest movie of all time. It's in top 5, no doubt. I guess our generation if a bit more used to disturbing imagery, massacres and suffering all over the world. There are also a lot of new and good movies in this category, that were made in the past 10-15 years as well. I know for a fact, that during a particular Grudge scene, my heart stopped for a minute or two. There's also The Ring which has it's elements as well (original and american versions). The Shining comes to mind as well, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Psycho, The Thing, Nightmare on Elm Street,.. and many more. But anyhow, in a way it's interesting how movies like that appeal to us, how we like to be scared. Matter of opinion really, I know I like it.. sometimes..

No comments: